Wayamba Development Division
The Ministry of Internal Affairs, Wayamba Development and Cultural Affairs was established by the Gazette Extraordinary no. 1933/13 on 21 September 2015 after the Good Governance coming into the power.
The districts of Kurunegala and Puttalam formulate Wayamba Province which has a population of 2370075. Number of 46 DS Divisions is comprised with this population. GN Divisions and villages are 2458and 5682 respectively. The province has an area of 7,888 km². Local Authorities are 34.
According to the Gazette extraordinary no. 1933/13 on 21 September 2015, there are two major responsibilities have been vested in its scope of the Ministry of Wayamba Development.
1. Coordination, making and implementation of policies in relation to the development projects for economic and infrastructure facilities within the North Western Province.
2. Establishment of a Secretariat to coordinate ‘Wayamba Development Program.
With the prime objective of making a disciplined society and raising children of the nation to national and international level by improving their artistic talents and skills, the Ministry of Internal Affairs, Wayamba Development and Cultural Affairs has launched a program to establish Cultural Centres on one cultural centre per Divisional Secretary’s Division basis. This initiative demanded a separate division to deal with this function. Accordingly, it was met in 2011 with the establishment of construction division by which construction and maintenance activities of cultural centres are carried out.
I. Distribution of Cultural Centres at Divisional Secretary’s Divisional level by the end of 2015.
• Total number of Divisional Secretary’s Divisions- 331
• Opened Cultural Centres - 178
• Cultural Centres under construction - 47